We all start somewhere. It’s time to face your fears and start something new!

Hello everyone!

Welcome to my first ever blog and the beginning of my journey to becoming an educator!

I am so excited to be here, as this has been a long time coming for me. I bounced around with a few career ideas out of high school (and followed a few different education avenues), but  felt like nothing fully suited me – meaning that I didn’t feel like my mind and spirit connected with the work.

Teaching has always been an idea in the back of my mind, but my fear of the unknown and lack of self-confidence led me down other paths first. I am proud of all that I have learned and what I have achieved in the time since I graduated high school, and like my mom always said, “no education is ever wasted” (which is great news, because I’ve done a lot.)

I completed a Special Education Certificate from Queen’s University in 2021, as my ultimate goal is to be a learning support teacher. I believe that every individual has the right to access equitable education and has the ability to do so if given the proper supports. I finally feel like I’ve found my calling – help students find and use the supports that work for them. I learned so much from this certificate and can’t wait to actually get into the profession to put my knowledge into practice!

I’ve decided that I want to be like the teachers I remember most from my schooling; I may not always remember their lessons, but I remember how they made me feel seen, heard, and valued. That is one of the most important parts of education for me – What did they do to inspire me? How did they help me feel included and engaged? How can I help learners feel this way about coming to school?

I am hopeful that this blog will be a jumping point for the rest of my education journey. I look forward to seeing where this path leads me and who I become as an educator. I will bring my empathy, compassion and creativity to my work, and hope that I can help make a difference for a learner who truly needs it.

Thanks for stopping by! I hope we get the chance to connect again.

Teaching with Teeney