It was nice to read everyone’s unique examples and how they approached the first prompt post. Since we all come from different backgrounds, and each bring our own knowledge and experience, all of us have a different lens that we look through when it comes to using different theories. I appreciate seeing a glimpse of various perspectives through the eyes of others that I may not have seen from just my point of view!

Deanna’s Post

Deanna offered a look at studying for a chemistry exam in her examples (which is so not in my scope of expertise!), so I enjoyed seeing each theory from that point of view. It is subject that I am not particularly drawn to, only because I felt like I never understood it as well, but Deanna’s breakdown of each theory shows how she incorporates them into her learning and understanding. It is amazing to see how we all look at the same theories with such distinct examples!

KTeacher’s Post

As a teacher-in-training, I appreciated reading KTeacher’s post regarding the impact of a TOC in a classroom and whether they can incorporate more cognitivist or constructionist styles to pre-made behaviourist style lesson plans. I completely agree that it can be a challenge when you get a call at 6am to start work at 8am in a new class, with the plans already laid out for the day. I also enjoyed reading KTeacher’s second prompt response about being in the BCIT program, as it sounds like it provided a great example of using multiple theories in one space to create a more well-rounded learning experience. I believe that using one over the others takes away an opportunity from students, and that we should instead be using a combination of approaches to ensure learners are gaining access and understanding from a variety of perspectives.