We learned about screencasting this week…and man did I feel awkward the whole time. My heart was racing throughout the recording and while editing I realized all I got rid of was “uh” or “um”. Ever watched the episode of Community where Pierce is helping Shirley with her presentation? Apparently I need that.

Needless to say, it was humbling. But I did learn a couple cool skills while doing it! I used Screencastify to create my recording and while I got nervous and forgot to use the cool annotation tools, I definitely see myself using them in the future. This resource seems amazing to create educational tools that could be used as walk-throughs for a variety of websites or links (although I would have a script and more of a plan for those!).

There was also a way to add an interactive component to videos sort of like that old school MTV Pop-Up Video show (sorry that the jingle is stuck in your head, but at least it has a catchy ring to it!). The program we were introduced to was called H5P. While it wouldn’t exactly work with recording I did, I can see it being useful for students to watch and answer questions to show their comprehension and to make sure they were paying attention!

I’m not the most tech savvy person in the world but I feel like screencasting is quick and easy so long as you can get past hearing your own voice. The process of working through it and practicing made me feel a lot better about incorporating something like this into my practice.

And just in case you wanted to jump into the excitement and awkward, here’s a link to my tour through Teaching with Teeney 😉